Virtual Panhandling



Right now, I am in the midst of a fundraising campaign to buy a new mandolin. The $500 instrument I bought 20 years ago is on its last leg. I have over the course of a year been breaking an average of 2 strings per show – at different points in the set, of course! And changing a string onstage in the middle of a gig is a time-consuming venture. Oh, and all the other strings then go out of tune. So, I decided to suck it up, and rattle the virtual tin cup once again.

This is the third fundraising campaign I have mounted to raise money for musical purposes. On top of that, there have been a handful of times when I have emailed my “fan listserve” to seek smaller donations for other projects. Each time, the campaign has been met with support and encouragement. And although – apart from the first one – I have never fully met the stated goal, these campaigns have been what I deem highly successful. They have allowed me to make solid musical contributions to my city, and really to culture as a whole.

This campaign for a new instrument has a lofty goal: $5000. I figured, if I need to buy a new mandolin, why not aim for the stars? And lo and behold, my friends and fans are proving – once again – that they care. They care about the music that I am making. They care about the fact that I am a musician who wears my heart on my sleeve. They care about the connection that I make with audiences. They care about how I make them feel.

Now, I am sure there are some folks out there thinking, “Geez. That guy is asking for money AGAIN??” And I was even publicly shamed by some random person on a facebook post, saying that I should be ashamed; that if I want a new instrument, I should pay for it myself. Not to mention a few less-than-heartwarming responses to direct appeals.

So, here’s the thing. And, this is info I did NOT put in the campaign appeal letter itself. I work for a nonprofit organization – meaning my salary is in no way competitive with those around me (I work in Midtown Manhattan, surrounded by lawyers, bankers, hedge fund managers, venture capitalists, etc, etc). On top of that, I live in one of the most expensive cities in the world. At this point in my life, I am right around $25,000 in debt (combined student loans and credit). And I would hazard a guess that since I moved to NYC, I have probably invested $25,000 OF MY OWN MONEY in putting on musical performances.

So, to those naysayers who have a problem with me seeking support once again (or at all, in the case of the random shamer): would you rather I provide music or focus on paying off my credit card and student loans?

Ponder this point in a larger, cultural sense: I would be 100% DEBT FREE if I had not invested a single dollar in my various musical projects over the last 20 years. Even if you don’t like the music that I am making: which do you think is more beneficial for the culture at large? That we musicians, artists, dancers, and writers practice our craft and share our “god-given talents” with the rest of you? Or that we focus only on “getting ahead” financially?

MOST musicians that I know have lost money making music. They put their sweat and tears, their heart, their soul – AND THEIR OWN MONEY into creating and sharing their talents with you, the public. Do we really want to live in a society where all anyone ever focuses on is moving money around in circles between each other? WHAT A BORING LIFE THAT WOULD BE FOR ALL OF US.

I’m sorry, but if I have the choice of making a bigger monthly payment towards my credit card debt, or hiring an amazing instrumentalist for my next gig, I will always choose the instrumentalist. Or the fee that I have to pay the booker to find a venue for us to play in; or paying to rent a venue myself; or the recurring cost of mandolin strings; or printing up flyers and posters to advertise our gig; or a facebook boost to reach my target audience; or the travel reimbursement for my out-of-town bandmates; or replacement guitar picks, bottleneck slides; or a new effects pedal or preamp when one falls apart; or a videographer to capture live shows; or mixing and mastering a track to release; or licensing rights if you perform other people’s music; or distribution costs to get your music out there; or transportation to and from gigs; or voice/instrument lessons; or paid rehearsal space; or an accompanist; or god(ess) forbid a 6-pack or two of beer for my bandmates who come from out of the city on their own dime to rehearse….

Do you get the picture now???????????????

I wish – I hope – I pray – that I may one day win the lottery. After the uphill financial battle I’ve encountered throughout my adult life, I more than anyone understand the value of a dollar; and during this third fundraising campaign on which I have embarked, I also understand the value of making a donation and supporting a fundraiser. And if I won the lottery, you’d better believe I’d be supporting ALL of my artistic friends who need financial help. I make a modest $5 recurring monthly contribution to one of my local public radio stations, because I listen to it every morning while getting ready for work. I also give a small monthly donation to the ASPCA – because, well, animals!! 🐱🐶 Would that I could be as generous as some of my friends, family and fans have been over the years!!

By the way, wanna see what generosity from others to me has yielded in the past? Just in case any of you think I’m asking for money through subterfuge, and am now on a yacht in the Caribbean, THIS is what has directly come from people supporting ME and my music projects:

Grateful Dead related:
Songs to fill the air: A Memorial Concert to Celebrate the Life of Jerry Garcia, 2014
Live from the Crypt: Songs from the Dead, Sung for the Dead, 2017
Dead Covers Project 2018
Dead Covers Project 2017
Dead Covers Project 2015
Dead Covers Project 2015

Other projects:
Spectrum of Song recital, 2010 (excerpt)
Spectrum of Song recital, 2010 (excerpt)
Spectrum of Song recital, 2008 (entire 2nd set)
David Bryan: The Catshack Sessions, 1999 (entire album)

NONE OF THIS WOULD BE IN THE PUBLIC SPHERE FOR CONSUMPTION IF I HAD TO DEPEND SOLELY ON MY FULLTIME INCOME WORKING FOR A NONPROFIT ORGANIZATION.

NONE OF THIS WOULD BE AVAILABLE FOR FREE FOR YOU TO ENJOY IF I HAD SPENT MY LIFE FOCUSING ONLY ON MY CREDIT CARD BALANCE AND RETIREMENT ACCOUNTS.

NONE OF THIS WOULD HAVE BEEN POSSIBLE WITHOUT THE GENEROSITY OF MANY, MANY PEOPLE OVER THE COURSE OF MY LIFE.

Now, if you have the means, pick a musician. ANY MUSICIAN. If you don’t want to donate to my campaign, donate to one of theirs!!! Or choose an artist. Or a dancer. Or a writer. OR ANYONE WHO STRUGGLES FINANCIALLY BECAUSE THEY CHOSE TO MAKE THE WORLD A BETTER PLACE, INSTEAD OF CHOOSING TO SPEND THEIR ENTIRE LIFE LINING THEIR OWN POCKETS WITH MONEY.

But . . . If you DO want to donate to my campaign, here’s the link.  ;-)


Comments

Popular Posts