INTRODUCTORY BLOG: Greetings, cruel world! Now kiss my ass!

hi folks, whoever you are. the time has finally come.

i recently applied for a job as a youth minister at an episcopal church. i was told that i do not meet their qualifications. this means that i have hit rock bottom in terms of my job search. since i have been involved in youth ministry in many different capacities for ALMOST 20 YEARS, let it thus be said:
if I am not qualified - based on my credentials, work experience, intellect, creativity, and passion - to be a youth minister (even after offering a letter of recommendation from the episcopal bishop of west virginia!) then i am not qualified to do ANYTHING.

if i told you the sheer number and scope of diversity of jobs for which i have applied (and been mostly ignored), you would probably stare blankly in disbelief and then break down into tears. it is absolutely amazing that nobody will consider hiring me for a full time job. but i have decided to stop feeling sorry for myself and stop doubting my abilities.

after almost a year and a half of searching for full-time work, with absolutely no luck; after becoming financially despondent as a result of not being able to find substantial gainful employment; after struggling with depression as a result of my financial problems:

i have decided to start writing. for several reasons.

reason #1. just for fun. i recently started "journaling" again, and have found that i not only love writing, but also think that i write pretty interesting stuff. so, i mostly just want to get my ideas "out there" in whatever way possible. i want to share them with people who take me seriously, since the people who do the hiring in New York City do not...

reason #2. perhaps this will help my job situation. IF you enjoy what you read (and i don't really care if you do), then feel free to forward it to your friends, family, or colleagues. especially if they work for a publisher, or can offer me a job as a freelance writer for a newspaper or magazine.

reason #3. life is short, especially in this age of terrorism. you do not know when 'your time' will come. if for any reason, 'my time' is to come soon, then I need to go ahead and start getting some of my ideas out there... out into the world. because, if I DON'T get these ideas out of my overactive and under-utilized brain (thanks so much for nothing, working world), then I AM GOING TO GO ABSOLUTELY CRAZY.

i don't know if anyone will actually read all this crap. this is more for MY benefit anyway. i just need to do something productive with my life after wasting the past year out of sheer boredom. so, enjoy the following entries, whenever they may trickle into the blog. (that sounds like good song lyrics...)

Comments

ckmom said…
I think you write great! Hope you have found a job to love since you first wrote this!

Popular Posts