The Problem of Over-Air Conditioning

For the last few days, the New York Metropolitan area has experienced relatively high temperatures, even setting records in several nearby locations. We have been, according to the local newscasters, in an official heat wave. Now, as a southerner by birth, I do not really find it to be so incredibly unbearable up here. Sure, it’s hot. But that’s what summer is all about, right? After yet another bitterly cold winter, isn’t this heat just wonderful?

Several nights while I was in Stonington, I slept with the windows closed, covered by three blankets. We actually lit a fire in the fireplace one night - in the middle of July! Maine was a bit chilly for my tastes. I could not wait to get back to the extreme summer heat. However, now that I am back, I am already finding myself in an all-too-familiar scenario. Thus, let me introduce you to yet another problem I have noticed in America: The problem of over-air conditioning.

I really just don’t get it. I understand that not everybody shares my tastes for heat. When the temperature passes 85 degrees, I hear wailing and gnashing of teeth. But, honestly, America, do we need to make it that cold indoors? It often seems that the higher the temperature is outside, the more they blast the air inside. I thought I had finally learned my lesson about indoor air-conditioning, so when I went to a musical rehearsal tonight, I wore long pants and also took a long sleeve shirt. And, as many of you know, I have a full head of hair right now. Yet, I was still cold at points during the rehearsal. I’m sorry, but when it is 95 degrees outside, I usually don’t think about bringing a sweater and my winter hat when I walk out the door to go to work. However, my personal comfort temporarily aside, I would like to share two problems I see with air conditioning.

First, this is poor economic planning. Considering our current political and economic climate, it seems that everyone is concerned about finances, individuals and businesses alike. Does it not cost a lot of money to run air conditioning, especially in a large corporate building? The church where I am paid to sing, for instance, recently cut one of the choral services (due to budgetary constraints), causing numerous musicians to have to seek money elsewhere – one of the contributing factors to my current situation. Yet, every time I am in the building, I find it to be colder than necessary. Could they not save valuable economic resources by not blasting the AC? I know that churches are concerned about hell-fire and brimstone, but they really should relay this message through sermons, not through air conditioners.

Secondly, this is poor resource allocation. Right now, we should ALL agree that there is at least the mere possibility that we do NOT live on a planet that has limitless natural resources. (Unfortunately, I think there are probably people in this world who will not even grant that possibility). Considering the recurring power problems in the state of California, not to mention the memorable black out of the entire northeast two years ago, perhaps we should go on the offensive and start figuring out ways to tackle this problem before it gets out of hand. I believe one major way to contribute is to not use so much AC indoors. Let’s give the Power Company a break!

Now, of course, just as we do not all share the same tastes regarding heat, we likewise do not have the same reaction to air-conditioning. In fact, tonight, after mentioning to the guy next to me that I was cold, his response was one I have heard throughout my life: "You need to put some meat on your bones!" Fair enough. I will admit that I have a thin frame, which surely contributes to my being cold. (Which is why I dislike winter up here.) It’s really not my fault, though. I really do eat like a horse. Those of you who have seen me go to town on a buffet can attest. Honestly, if I devoted any more time to eating I would have to quit working altogether! (Which would not help my current financial situation.)

So, I am thin, and suffer through indoor air conditioning as a result. Still, it seems bizarre to me that a culture that is obsessed with health, that encourages personal fitness and places so much emphasis on the need to be thin, basically punishes all the thin people by setting the AC to unbearable levels for them. You’ll see what I mean if you will take notice of who is complaining about the building being cold.

So, ultimately, for those who love the heat of summer (specifically, the daytime heat), it is available for your enjoyment only if you have loads of free time on your hands (a category that I happen to currently fall under.) That being said, I’m glad that this period of under-employment can occur during the summer, as having a full-time job would be tantamount to winter for my skinny butt.

Comments

Moni said…
Amen! I'd rather be at the pool than in the artificial winter at the office. Right now I am wearing a scarf (the one mentioned on my fb status) and a cardigan. Brrrr.. My legs are still cold and my toes are freezing. PS: What's up with the stores who have their doors wide open and the ac on full blast? That makes me angry. Should we start a campaign? We can call it New Yorkers for energy preservation through humane ac temperature settings. NYEPHTS. Not very catchy.

Popular Posts